Tuesday, October 9, 2018

Baby blanket


I’m officially an auntie again so I can share these photos without giving the game way! I hope as thrilled to be asked to make a blanket for my new nieces or nephews (my sister in law was having twins) a few months ago. I bought the yarn in Ireland when I was back visiting earlier this year and started as soon as I decided on the pattern. 


It’s the new(er) ripple pattern - woodland ripple - by Lucy of Attic 24. She’s such an inspirational crochet designer. The pattern looks amazing stitched up but I didn’t find as relaxing to crochet as her neat ripple pattern. This is worked in a set of two rows using singles and then a holey double row. She also suggests working on the back loop for added texture but I didn’t see the need for a child’s blanket, especially as it may weaken it. 


A bit larger than expected as I went off the number of repeats I used before for the neat ripple. But this has a longer repeat (obvious in hindsight!). 

I sent it off with a few other presents and makes to my mother to pass along at the right time and my new niece and nephew were born late last month. I’m gutted I won’t get to meet them until the end of next year at the earliest. But at least they’ll be wrapped up my crocheted blankets. 

And don’t worry the other baby also got a crochet blanket too. One I’d made earlier. Rather pleased as the ripples of this blanket match the ripples of the blanket I made for their older sister and the yarn in the other blanket is the same yarn I used for the original one too. 


This isn't yarn I'd bother buying again. It was expensive but also has 33% acrylic (not mentioned in the 'title'). New Zealand is spoiled for much nicer options but the yarn shop in my home town in Ireland was primarily acrylic - and a rather large shop too.

Hook size: 5mm
Finished size: 30 x 34 inches
(I made 9 repeats with the added extras required by the pattern)


No comments:

Post a Comment