Sunday, October 7, 2018

Twig and tale fox vest



Its not often that I still love my makes when they're in heavy rotation - they often just fade into just clothes or things that I need to use.  This little beauty is a wonderful exception.  Its the twig and tale animal vest and in particular the fox version. 



I made up size two for my little person so she has time to grow into it and its already gotten a tonne of wear since I finished it (ages ago - oophs!). 



The outer fabric is a vintage wool from my grand mother's stash.  I've subsequently found out it was from the Ardfinnan woolen mills in Ireland.  The woolen mills was a leader in Irish fabric and my grand uncle worked there - he used to bring home remnants for my grandmother.  The factory itself closed before I was born.  I'm actually rather pleased I didn't know the provenance of the fabric before I joyfully cut into it.



Its lined with purple/lilac quilting cotton from my stash.



I spent a bit of time lining up the pockets - but then annoying used the back of the fabric by mistake (aghhh!) - it adds a human element, right? ;)



The closure is a standard duffel toggle from spotlight.  The first time I used one of these and I was going to put in loops and a button but liked the look of this better.  Easy to apply but it would have been better to do so before I sewed on the lining.



Look at that pattern matching! Vest to tail!  Thank you Maryanne (of Made Marion) for your tutelage in that area. (Helpful hint - if you get a chance to do her sewing techniques course at Made Marion - do!)



The ears are so cute!



The tail is a bit long and is the same size for all the child vests could have been shortened.  But works better now that LP's a little taller.  Its finished in a wool felt from Made Marion.



I added the flutter sleeves too - and am rather pleased I did.  I often tend for more pared down choices but think it looks good on.

The instructions were easy to follow and I'm still in love with the results.  So glad I made this and I'll be so sorry to see it go when she grows out of it - thankfully I have a niece who should be hitting that age when my LP has out grown it.

Pattern: wig and tale animal vest with fox option and flutter sleeves in size 2.
Fabric: vintage wool from the Ardfinnan woolen mills in Ireland and quilting cotton from stash (possibly Arthur Toyes but don't hold me to it!)
Notions: Wool felt for tail from Made Marion and toggle closure from Spotlight
Notes: as its a vest rather than a coast with sleeves that will/won't fit, it should last a bit longer.  And fitting is fairly true to size.  LP's gotten about 6 months out of it already.

No comments:

Post a Comment