Monday, May 18, 2020

Thank God for Crochet

We left Ireland in quite a rush mid Covid-19.  One of the many many decisions I had to make the week we packed up months early and made a mad dash back to New Zealand was to rationalise our luggage to meet the requirements of three different airlines as flights were cancelled and we had to repack and update when or if we would be leaving.  So so glad to be back home in our house.  Not sure when we'd be able to get back if we'd stayed and options for our sabbatical in Ireland were so limited - all the events we'd organised for work were cancelled and we were unable to visit/stay with friends.  Our house in Dublin was lovely *if you could leave it* and was very tight quarters with two adults trying to work from home and a toddler.  It didn't help that the head of our organisation's first response was to suggest redundancies.  In the mist of all this, I ended up deciding to leave the crochet project and my hooks as well as my nascent knitting project in Ireland with family.  The upshot was that we were in isolation in New Zealand for a few days and then entered lockdown with everyone else but I was without my hooks!  I really find crochet relaxing and definitely rely on it as a meditation.  Thankfully after pulling apart my sewing/guest room, I managed to find a few random sized hooks.  It was such a relief to have something relaxing to do with my hands.


I found some yarn (cotton) in stash and followed a pattern from one of the crochet books I love to own but rarely use!  I adapted the Faux overlapping circles pattern from the finer edge.  Wasn't very happy with the result so frogged the project and redid as a simple circle.



And another dishcloth done...


I raided my stash to see what yarn I actually had and was pleasantly surprized to find I had a lot left over after making some blankets for my niece and nephew when they were born.  I moved on to the next project fairly quickly so I don't think I realised quite how much I'd overbought.  


I don't think I've ever been as pleased by my hoarding tendencies - yarn and unexpected hooks!  The relief. The yarn is Debbie Bliss - Baby Cashmerino. I don't have the colours for all the balls.  


Started work on the growing ivy crochet blanket pattern by Yarninspirations using a 5mm hook.


I've had fun admiring my yarn stash in my project basket. 


Not quite sure the colour combo is one I would have put together ideally but is a beautiful yarn and the pattern is shaping up well. 

No comments:

Post a Comment